Would your rather be Right or would you rather find a Job?
Ask yourself this question: Would you rather be right, or would you rather find a job?
During our live job seeker training calls each week, we allow time to answer the questions that are most important to the participants on the call. Questions often reveal your priorities as well as your beliefs. Here are some of the comments that came in during the Q & A portion of our recent training calls:
- It doesn’t matter how many hours I dedicate to my job search, I’m still not going to be able to schedule interviews.”
- “Everyone wants experience and doesn’t want to hire a recent grad.”
- “I’m 55 years old, and most companies are looking to hire people in their twenties and thirties.”
- “I’ve been looking for a job for several months and now no one will even read my resume.”
- “Job Boards are the best way to find a job.“
Have you ever found yourself making statements similar to the ones listed above? The individuals making these statements have experienced a situation which caused this belief to be established. However, none of these statements are true.
- If you don’t dedicate 35-40 hours per week on your job search, you are limiting your chance of success
- Many recent graduates are being hired in today’s job market
- There are many employers who prefer to hire someone with strong experience and 55 is not considered “old”
- People will read your resume if you market yourself directly to individuals who would be your bosses boss
- Job Boards provide the highest level of competition with the lowest level of success
What beliefs do you have that could be holding back your job search? What do you know is RIGHT that in fact, could just be an opinion rather than a fact? Your job search is a learning experience that will change your opinions, beliefs and expectations as you proceed through the process.
Try to have an open mind for new ideas. If you’re not happy with the results you’re currently getting in your job search, change the way you are conducting your search. Bottom line: It’s better to find a job, than to be right!
Don’t forget to join our free webinars on Patrice Career Help. We are the only agency offering this FREE website to help you find a job. FREE tips, FREE resume review, FREE Resume Cards, search 1,000 job boards from our one site.