Steps to Writing a Standout Resume
Writing a resume is a task that everyone should feel confident doing at some point in their life. Our blog post last week talked about preparing for your next job interview. Do you have the tools to write the perfect resume to be considered for the position? A resume needs to be short and direct but help you stand out among the crowd. In this blog you will learn the steps to a well written resume to help you land your next interview.
So, what is a resume? A resume is summary of your skills, work history, education, and background experience. A resume will be a good foundation for each job you apply for but can be edited or customized per a specific job application. A resume should be one to two pages long.
First you need to think about the format and design of your resume. Although subject matter is what recruiters are looking for when they scan your resume, presentation is always an important factor. You want to make a good impression even before you walk through the door. A cluttered hard to read resume can get tossed aside therefore you want to take the time to ensure yours is neat and easy to follow.
Steps to follow for format and design:
- Font – Choose easy to read font no less than 11pt.
- Margins of at least .7 inches
- One to Two pages Max.
- Use high quality paper when printing copies for interview
- Use proper spacing
- Avoid busy details, some color is ok
How to structure your resume:
- Header and Contact information- Your contact information should be placed at the top of the resume. (Name, Phone number, Email, Social media information)
- Professional Summary- Brief description of who you are, what you do and why you are the perfect candidate for the position.
- Skills- Clearly list your skills. This is important. You want to shine on your resume. Use bullet points so they are clear and easy to find.
- Work Experience- State your past work experience. Details of company and dates. Use bullet points and descriptions of job titles.
- Education- Where you went to school, degrees you hold, and academic credentials.
- Volunteer Work, Hobbies, Awards- Add any additional information that will make you stand out among other candidates. Use bullet points and details.
Patrice & Associates helps candidates daily find the right fit for their future career. Writing a resume is a very important step on this journey. Contact Patrice & Associates to start your future today!Back