How long it should take to find a job in today’s job market?
How long it should take to find a job in today’s job market? Unfortunately, the answer is “it depends.” Your job search is probably going to take longer than you anticipated and yet there are job seekers fortunate enough to find a job within a few days.
There are many factors that impact the length of your job search:
- The economy
- The Job Market
- Economic conditions in the location you have targeted
- The number of jobs available in your field in your geographic area
- Flexibility in your job preferences
- Your credentials – skills, stability and experience
- The longer you are unemployed – the longer it will generally take to find a job
- The amount of time and energy dedicated to your search
- The quality of your resume, cover letters and references
- Your communication and follow-up skills
Some of these factors, like economic conditions, are not in your control. However, other factors like the willingness to consider relocation or other job targets are things you can change.
If you are not obtaining results, you must do something different. Those things may include:
- Opening your search to a larger geographic area
- Investigating new targets
- Revising your paperwork (resume, cover letter, references)
- Spending more time on your search efforts
- Building your professional network
- Marketing yourself directly to hiring authorities vs. spending your entire day on Job Boards
You will find a job, the questions is when your efforts and timing will align with the needs of a prospective employer.Back