Resume Rating Checklist
Ask yourself the following questions to self assess your current resume:
1. Does the layout invite attention? Is it clear and easy to read with appropriate spacing?
2. Did I list only my past ten years of work experience?
3. Did I list my education? High School? College? Trade School? Any job relevant certifications?
4. Did I key in on any rewards/awards that set me apart from my past co-workers?
5. Do I have a skills section that lists all career specific skills?
6. Did I make it easy to contact me to set up interviews?
7. Is all of my contact information accurate?
8. Are all of my dates listed on my resume accurate?
9. Do my strong points stand out?
10. Is my resume on one page? Ideally one page, but two is fine.
11. Does it include a clear-cut Objective or Summary of Qualifications?
12. Is all the information relevant to my Objective or Summary of Qualifications?
13. Is my verbiage clear and professional (no jargon)?
14. Is my information honest and ethical?
15. Does it grab the reader’s attention immediately?
16. Did I omit any personal information?
17. Did I omit any reasons for leaving past jobs?
18. Did I omit any salary information?
19. Am I using strong impact statements?
20. Am I using accomplishments rather than simply tasks/duties?
21. Are my responsibilities clear and understandable?
22. Did I avoid abbreviation?
23. Would my resume entice the Hiring Authority to select ME as one of their candidates to interview?
24. Did I check and double check for spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors?
25. Did I have someone I trust read my resume for spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors?
26. Did I offer to provide References at their request?
These are just the very BASICS as you review your resume. Remember that your resume is your ticket to your interview. Your interview is the main step to your job offer. It is always a good idea to have someone look over your resume. However, keep in mind that the opinions you receive are subjective and ultimately it is YOU who will make the final revision.Back